Monday, May 6, 2013

2013 Giro d'Italia, Stage 3 Results


36 YEAR OLD LUCA PAOLINI, DEBUTING IN THE GIRO D'ITALIA, WINS STAGE, MAGLIA ROSA, AND MAGLIA ROSSA IN MARINA DI ASCEA

Luca Paolini won Stage 3 of the 2013 Giro d’Italia today. The Katusha rider finished alone after attacking in the final, tortuous kilometers. After 5 hours 44 minutes of racing along the stunning coast road of the Amalfi Coast, Paolini crossed the line 16 seconds before Cadel Evans (BMC Racing) and Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin Sharp), who led home the group of overall contenders. The win brought him both the Maglia Rosa of the overall race leader, and the Maglia Rossa of the points leader.

After the stage, Paolini spoke to the press. “My team car told me I had a few seconds advantage, but I knew there was a descent ahead, and I am a good descender. My head was clear and I descended to the best of my ability. I heard that there were falls behind me, but we were all on the limit on the descent. 8km from the finish, I looked back and realized my advantage was big enough to win the stage. Studying my race programme with my Directors in November, we wondered if I’d be able to ride a good classics season and then ride the Giro. I know I’m 36 years old, and I wanted to do it. So, after Paris-Roubaix, I had 7 days off the bike, then I rode the Tour of Turkey. That was the key factor. I arrived at the Giro in good condition, knowing that in the first three stages I had a chance of showing myself.”

Regarding Katusha and the Pro Tour, Paolini said, "We’re demonstrating that we deserve to be in the Pro Tour. We’re a good team, we work hard, and we have directors who leave nothing to chance. Our results are due to the climate of harmony that reigns in this team.”

There were several crashes on the final, and technical, descent to the finish. One of these was Michele Scarponi who was in the lead group that was chasing Paolini when he crashed. Unfortunately, he had no teammates with him and had to wait for one to arrive for a bike change. "I lost seconds, I know, but Giro is still very long," commented Scarponi after the race. "This does not mean that I'll attack in every stage. I did not get injuried in the crash, only some bruises".

Stage 3 highlights:


Top 10 Stage 3:
1 Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha 5:43:50
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:16
3 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp
4 Mauro Santambrogio (Ita) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia
5 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
6 Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Katusha
7 Pieter Weening (Ned) Orica-GreenEdge
8 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
9 Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team
10 Robert Gesink (Ned) Blanco Pro Cycling Team

Top 20 GC:
1 Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha 9:04:32
2 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:17
3 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling
4 Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:26
5 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:31
6 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Astana Pro Team
7 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp 0:00:34
8 Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Katusha 0:00:36
9 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Katusha
10 Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Col) Sky Procycling 0:00:37
11 Mauro Santambrogio (Ita) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia 0:00:39
12 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:42
13 Thomas Danielson (USA) Garmin-Sharp
14 Pieter Weening (Ned) Orica-GreenEdge 0:00:45
15 Robert Gesink (Ned) Blanco Pro Cycling Team
16 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:00:54
17 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:01:00
18 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) RadioShack Leopard
19 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:05
20 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:01:18

Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-Merida is 22nd at 0:01:23

Tomorrow: the Giro's longest stage, 246 km from Policastro Bussentino to Serra San Bruno.Near the finish are two climbs, Vibo Valentia (14.9 km at 3%, 10% max) and Croce Ferrata (12,8 km atl 5,5%).


Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email when new content is added using the "Follow by Email" button on the right side column.

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are now more than 2,800 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.



2 comments:

  1. Loved the descending today! Really exploited those in the pro peloton who lack serious bike handling skills and highlighted those who can carve down a mountain road... I counted 12 who ran off, there were probably more not caught on camera. Ryder, Evans, Paolini and Co. showed how it is done. Notice the best handlers are usually always the ex-mountain bikers! It's no secrete why. So far, the Giro is delivering! Tutto il Rosa!!!

    http://theroadsofascension.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive display today of descending skills. You have to ride along side a pro to appreciate it....it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete